Maintaining your outdoor timber structures and playground equipment
Maintaining your outdoor timber structures is of utmost importance. Timber is a natural product and when it's used for exterior construction, it can certainly take a punishing from the weather elements. Exposed timber is prone to splitting and aging if the timber is not regularly maintained.
If left unattended to for long periods of time, the timber will become unsightly, structurally unsafe and very expensive to repair.
We recommend that all outdoor timber structures be coated with an exterior timber preservative or wood sealer. The coating will penetrate into the wood to seal and protect it from extreme weather conditions.
We also highly recommend that your exterior timber structures and especially outdoor playground equipment be serviced and re-coated annually.
Your timber structure (especially playground equipment) should be professionally assessed for the following:
- The stability of the structure should be checked. If the structure is wobbly or unstable, it might need to be re-concreted or fastened where needed.
- Tightening and/or replacing nails, screws, nuts and bolts
- Loose timber slats should be fastened or replaced where needed.
- Broken or cracked poles and timber should be replaced.
- All suspended items should be thoroughly checked for any damages or obstructions.
- Steel components should be checked for corrosion and repaired or replaced if damaged.
- Ropes and nets should be inspected and replaced if damaged.
- Fibreglass and plastic accessories should be checked for cracks and chips and should be repaired or replaced if damaged.
- The overall structure should be checked for any deficiencies and malfunctioning.
- Re-coating of the structure if necessary.
PlayScape offers the following services:
- Repairs and maintenance to existing outdoor timber structures and playground equipment.
- Re-coating of outdoor timber structures
- Relocation of timber playground equipment
- Upgrades and adding on to existing structures
- Annual maintenance
- Maintenance inspections